Thursday, September 8, 2011

RE:What is there to fear?

I would like to start off my saying, Trevor's writing abilities provoke a great amount of emotion. Trevor states in his opening paragraph: "Soon real life will set in and students will have to face the big questions such as, who do I want to be, and how do I want to be viewed by others." It is so true that being viewed by others is such a major factor of life. We all want good attention in some way. I know many loud and outspoken people say: "I don't care what people say!" or "I do me all day and everyday." I can definitely be accused of saying these statements on the daily, but in reality I don't want people to view me in a negative light. Since this is impossible to achieve perfection and to receive only positive views of ourselves by our peers, we must take each negative comment and use it in the best possible way. What i recently came to realize is, I have let myself be the victim for way to long. I've grown up being bullied and am still continually bullied, but I am no longer letting the bullies get the reaction. I am a strong, independent, and beautiful women, as cliche as that sounds, i finally believe it. I know there will be days that I'm not going to like the way people talk about me but as Trevor states: "Overcoming small hurdles/problems motivates us and trains us to take on bigger problems which in the end may lead to the fulfillment of our goals." I completely agree. Haters are going to hate. They'll hate you, rate you, shake you, and may possible break you. But how strong you stand is what makes you. Today, I am making myself and not falling into the traps of what the hatersTHINK I've made myself.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about this topic independently, as a matter of fact, so when I saw your post I felt like jumpin' in.

    My take is this: There are hardly any people in this world who really don't care about others' opinions of them. And those that truly don't, we all might look at and go, "You are crazy." (Though they might in fact be saner than any of the rest of us.)

    The reason I say this is that in the moments when I deep-down, gut-level KNOW that I'm not giving a _____ about what anybody thinks, I'm usually 1. alone and 2. going through something that would look crazy from the outside, even if I know it isn't. Actually I try to take time out of every day to make sure I can be alone just so that I can go through the so-called crazy stuff I know I need to go through, without having to worry about other people's opinions. (For me this is called meditation.)

    Then at other times, I know that not only 1. I'm gonna care about what others think of me, but 2. I SHOULD care. So I think it's more complicated than the typical bromide, "Don't care about what others think," etc.

    Sorry I'm not getting into specifics here. But if I did, you'd think I'm crazy. :) All of this reminds me of this advice I ran across at some point--"There's only one way to dance: Like there's nobody around."

    ReplyDelete